Liberia Electricity Corporation
Information and Public Affairs Department
May 24, 2023
The Management of the Liberia Electricity Corporation wishes to announce to the public and its valued customers that the Corporation will celebrate throughout the month of July, a major milestone marking its 50th Anniversary. Since its establishment through an Act of Legislature on July 12, 1973, the LEC has carried out its mandate to produce and supply affordable, efficient and reliable electric power to the entire nation. The Act simultaneously tasked the LEC with maintaining the corporation’s financial viability while improving and expanding the network to meet the future demand for electric energy in Liberia thereby stimulating the socio-economic development of the nation.
On July 12, 2023 the Liberia Electricity Corporation celebrates fifty (50) years of service to the people of Liberia. The LEC suffered major setback when its grid, including the Hydro Power Plant, was destroyed during the years of Liberia’s civil unrest. With the support of the Government of Liberia and Donor Partners, LEC continues its rebuilding efforts and carries out its mandate.
From supplying electricity to only the capital city Monrovia, the LEC has expanded its network to provide electricity to nine counties across Liberia, to include Grand Cape Mount, Bomi, Montserrado, Margibi, Nimba, Bong, Maryland and Grand Gedeh counties. LEC has also increased its customer base from thirty-five thousand (35,000) customers in 1989 to over two hundred thousand (200,000) customers in 2023 through donor funded projects and LEC connections.
From 13MW generation capacity in 1989, LEC now has a total installed generation capacity of 126MW which includes 88MW from the Mt. Coffee Hydro Power Plant and 38MW from the Bushrod Thermal Plant. In addition to its installed generation capacity, LEC also has 27MW imported capacity from CI Energies in the Ivory Coast through the CLSG/Transco Transmission Lines.
The LEC has organized series of activities to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The activities, which are centered around the theme “INNOVATION FOR A BRIGHTER TOMORROW” will include the following:
- On May 24, 2023, the LEC in collaboration with the Liberia Poet Society (LPS) will launch its essay writing competition aimed at inspiring change and encouraging students to consider STEM education. The winner of the essay competition stands a chance of winning one-year paid scholarship up to US$2,000.00 (Two Thousand United States Dollars).
- On July 3, 2023 the LEC will kick off the Golden Jubilee Celebrations with a Talk Show with Hon. Monie R. Captan/Acting CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors, to discuss the Liberia Electricity Corporation then versus now. This will be streamed live and aired on several radio stations simultaneously.
- The LEC in collaboration with the Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Center for Women Empowerment will on July 5, 2023 host a Dialogue with high school girls. This activity is aimed at encouraging the participation of females in STEM education.
- A sports day activity will be held on July 15, under the theme “INNOVATION FOR A BRIGHTER TOMORROW”. The event will bring together other agencies for a day of sporting activities.
- The Anniversary will be climaxed by a Gala and Dinner Night on July 20, 2023.
The Liberia Electricity Corporation reaffirms its commitment to provide accessible, affordable and reliable electricity to all Liberians.
Signed: The Management