The Liberia Electricity Corporation is a public utility entity created in 1973 by the Government of the Republic of Liberia through an act of Legislature with a mandate to produce and supply economic and reliable electric power to the entire nation, while at the same time maintaining the corporation financial viability.
LEC invites applications from appropriately qualified and experienced male and female candidates.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage, update and maintain the physical and virtual Law Library to include internal policies and procedures, litigation and case files, and all other documents and materials coming into or being maintained by the Legal Department
- Protect an organization’s rights in its interactions with external parties
- Participate in court proceedings, including pretrial and settlement conferences.
- Support in drafting and reviewing contracts, employment agreements, and a wide variety of legal correspondence
- Ensure the provision of general legal advisory services to various Departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken
- Research and analyze legal issues relating to civil litigation, prepared memoranda, and drafted motions and briefs to represent the Liberia Electricity Corporation
- Develop policies and education for compliance, and manage business associate agreements
- Conduct internal compliance and re-classification audits for pre-complaint resolution
- Participate and aid in tort litigation claims alleging violation of civil rights, wrongful dismissal, personal injury, and property damage cases
- Maintain a database of all appeals and court cases involving the Liberia Electricity Corporation and all relevant persuasive international cases
- Regularly advise and update the Head of the Department in writing including flash reports on all legal matters pending before courts and/or administrative agencies to which LEC is a party, including settlement offers and negotiations
- Perform other assigned duties
Job Related Qualifications
Minimum Educational Qualification
- Bachelors of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school
- Possess a valid legal professional license to practice law before all subordinate courts in the Republic of Liberia and membership in good standing with the Liberia National Bar Association (LNBA)
Previous Work Experience
- 3 years of experience in the practice of Law with significant practical exposure to criminal and civil litigation.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems
● Skill/experience in identifying control techniques to mitigate organizational, supervisory, and business process risks
● Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills
● Ability to communicate persuasively – in writing, speaking and via audio-visual technologies
● Demonstration of flexibility in achieving agreeable solutions
● Ability to demonstrate and coach others on communication concepts and approaches
● Ability to develop and maintain internal and external contacts, at multiple strategic levels, to create access to information as required
● Meticulous, detailed-oriented approach to work matters
● Up-to-date understanding of the key legal issues germane to the Liberia Electricity Corporation